Robbie stubbed his toe on the object. “Yeow!” He examined his bare foot. No blood. “Got to trim those nails,” he thought as he dug the offending object from the sand. It was a magic lamp. FAST FORWARD. You already know this tale. Once Robbie uttered his wish, the diabolical Genie contorted his brow, and Robbie was surrounded by a million antlered male animals. Bucks. He was trampled as the Genie laughed and snacked on a churro.
Okay. You certainly know some variation of this tale. And it always ends up badly. Of course, those like Robbie and Aladdin usually do learn ‘their lesson.’ So it isn’t so bad… No wonder we’re all leery of wishes! Do they really come true? And if so, will we be punished by them?
We are aware that we attract everything to us, for better or worse, joy or pain, richer or poorer, you know the rest. We create our experience and manifest everything around us through our feelings and thoughts. The knowledge of this can be used powerfully. We have the opportunity to consciously adjust our thoughts and feelings so that we can become deliberate, intentional creators.
We cannot help but create. We are creators. (1) Pain and “trouble” typically occur when we do not create consciously. Just as the Genie exclaimed, “your wish is my command,” the Universe is always fulfilling our wishes, no matter what they are. If we are not deliberate and intentional with our thoughts and feelings, our ‘wishes’ are, at the minimum, vague or contradictory. At maximum (worst case) they are detrimental.
“Asleep at the Wheel.” Have you ever really thought about the profound ‘truth’ this depicts? Whether awake or asleep, the car is in motion. A powerful force (machine) is engaged and moving forward. If one is unconscious, that force will still be applied. But to what? Who knows? Most likely, it will not be used to get one to the desired destination. The results are definitely unpredictable and probably disastrous.
The powerful Law of Attraction is always in motion. Very often chaotic results happen from our unclear or not well-thought-out wishes (or prayers). So the ‘victims’ of wishes-gone-bad learned and then cautioned to others:
“Be careful of what you wish for!”
The truth is, we are always wishing. Every thought and emotion put out an energetic wish. The above phrase warns with a caution: “Be careful…” Indeed, many of the tales involving wishes end with tragic results as the wisher finds that he was not very clear about what he wished for and hence, suffered the consequences. Of course, the results (or story) had a ‘sunny side’ in that its purpose was to teach the wisher something important– probably to get really clear about what he or she wanted or what was truly important. Hence, the wisher learned a valuable lesson.
What if the wisher started out with full awareness and then made a more specific, deliberate wish? And what if the wisher entered into the wish without fear? By declaring “Be careful of what you wish for” one invokes caution. Caution is literally rooted (from Latin and by definition) in fear. It’s about being “on guard” and defending from harm. So, this very phrase “Be careful about what you wish for,” creates (self inflicts) a negative vibe into whatever it is you wish for. And, since we are always wishing…well…you can see where this might lead. This very self-defeating construct is found throughout many of our everyday words, phrases, and language. Our initial lesson in overcoming this “curse” is to become AWARE of the denotations (meanings) and the emotional connotations of the very tools (words) that we invoke creation with.
Our words are the tools we use to begin the sculpting of ‘the abstract’ into something concrete. They are used to guide energy into form. The better (more specific and less abstract) the tool, the better (more reliable and quickly achieved) the result. The denotations of words are very important because we want to be clear on just what the tool can produce. Our words are imbued both with connotation and denotation. In a sense, they have magical powers. They embody wisdom and give rise to creation.
A connotation is very important as it ‘sets-off’ one’s emotional state around the world. Obviously, we want to use words that empower us (towards positive emotion). Often, the connotation is skewed because we are not clear on the denotation (correct meaning) of the word. Ages of wisdom are embedded in words and phrases. We can use this to our advantage just by becoming clear about the word itself. Using words and phrases without being accurate on their definitions is commonplace and often a huge cause in problematic wishes. If you haphazardly use words or you have vague, inaccurate or outright incorrect understandings of the words, you’re going to end-up with similarly wrong results. Perhaps the usage is just ‘off’ by a ‘smidge.’ Like a gun (or a magic wand), if one is off by the slightest angle at the source, the target can be missed by a great length resulting in completely different (if not devastating) effects. Here’s our first adjustment, which, indeed, is the very foundation of this practical and magical lesson:
“Be AWARE of what you wish for!”
Now that is magic! We cannot help but create. The universe is always taking care of the wish. Your mission, therefore, is to become more and more aware. This is a great adventure before us. It’s not the job before us for who wants or likes to do any job? This is our great privilege. We GET to do this! This is the celebration of continuing awareness that we now embark on. We all want to learn, we just don’t want to “be taught.” In the spirit of child-like curiosity and amazement, we will re-learn our vocabulary, and re-relearn how to ‘spell’ so that we may have a life filled with magic.
Examples of troublesome wishes:
- I’m tired of being broke.
- I just want to be rich.
- I want a good man.
- I want a ranch style house in Manhattan.
- I wish people would stop bothering me.
Or: I wish people would leave me alone.
Aside from the last few on the list, they’re all vague and, therefore, it’s hard to predict what will happen. (This commonly leads people to believe that their wishes are not being fulfilled or prayers answered because the desire is so unspecific that one will easily miss the vague or confusing results when they actually do show up. Or, the results are actually just a continuation of the ‘status’ quo—the wish is constantly being granted and there is no change. Take (a) for example:
- a) “I’m tired of being broke.”-You have just declared that you are tired and broke. Wish granted! This wish invariably will be answered as keeping you tired and broke. You will have no idea it’s actually being fulfilled by the universe because it’s ‘more of the same’ of what you already have. You will experience the state of ‘tired.’ You’ll also find yourself struggling financially. Also, since ‘broke’ is somewhat vague, you could end up in various stages of non-function (broke): emotionally, physically, and financially. Without question, your (effective) use of the law of attraction is broken. You are not just short on funds, you are actually short-on-funds because your view of income, outgo, and abundance is truly ‘broken.’
- b) “I just want to be rich.” — There are two issues here:
- Firstly, what does rich mean? It’s an abstract concept to most people. What does it specifically mean for you? A million in the bank? A personal masseuse? Be clear.
- ii. Secondly, it invokes a ‘state of want.’ This will be covered more in-depth later. Let’s just see if you can ‘grab’ this. If your wish is “I want to be rich” the universe will answer you by delivering the state of “wanting to be rich.” Therefore, the answer is: you’re poor.
- “I want a good man.” — What is a good man? Be specific.
- “I want a ranch style house in Manhattan.” –Often people offer up contradictory wishes so the universe has no choice but to deliver up contradictory results or no results.
- “I wish people would stop bothering me.”– “Bother ” is a frame-of-mind and your impression or reaction; therefore, you’re probably going to remain bothered in general. ‘Trouble is, you will probably be bothered because you have no opportunities and no results. And that’s because you wish to have people stop contacting, calling, interrupting, inviting you has been granted. BE AWARE of what you wish for!!!
So, what about an ‘awful’, intentional, deliberate wish:
- I have a two-week vacation with my spouse on Maui in a luxury hotel, the Kealani, paid for by my current employer. Each day we swim, sightsee, and enjoy fine cuisine. The hotel staff and islanders are a joy to be around. I can see the white sand beaches, feel the warm ocean water, and smell the fragrant breeze.
- I have a million dollars in pure profit after taxes by the end of this year.
- I comfortably fit into my favorite pair of jeans.
Notice what’s in common?
- They are all in the PRESENT tense. (more on this in an upcoming article.)
- They do not state a ‘want.’ They simply make a declaration of ‘what is so.’
- They are specific. Putting a time frame can also make it more believable to you. This is okay so long as it’s a definite time. (It’s not just ‘in the future’ because the results will never be apparent — they will always reside ‘in the future.’ Remember the phrase “Someday is the day that’s never coming.”
Be as specific as possible. Add ‘experiential’ detail.
Example (a) is already very elaborate.
Let’s elaborate on (b):
- I go to the bank every month and deposit a check worth over $100,000. I love to count the zeroes! The check reads “Please pay to the order of” my name! The bank line is short. It’s a little chilly, but the teller is very friendly. At the end of the year, the gross income on my tax return reads 1,356,753.48. My tax due is 356,000. Leaving me over a million dollars in pure profit.
Using visceral descriptions that include sights, sounds, smells, and feelings will add to the power of the wish. The objective (literally) is to make the wish as real as possible, and, indeed, it will be made real. In addition to using words, you may choose to include actual pictures (from magazines, books, newspapers, real-estate listings, etc.) This adds that much more power, intention, and focus to your creation. (3)
Are you afraid to make more and more specific wishes? Are you paralyzed to make such detailed, elaborate, lavish demands? Then you are in a state of ‘being careful of what you wish for.’ Often, this happens because we know that if we are very specific, we will clearly know if the wish is not granted. We are afraid to ‘test’ or ‘tempt’ the universe. We are afraid to find out that the truth might be that our wishes and prayers don’t come true. Guess what? If you buy into this worry, they will not. It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. It becomes the dreaded, diabolical wish. Know that there is no test at hand. This is the law. There is no worry in a deliberate, intentional wish. Your word is the creative force of the universe, and the Law of Attraction is already granting your wish. You’re just going to have to trust and ‘let it go.’ KNOW it is so. AMEN! (2)
Go forth and be ‘aware’ of what you wish for. I wish you joy, clarity, detail, awareness, and intention in your deliberate creation.
- Many religious doctrines teach that we are “Made in the image of God.” Many people look at this ‘backward’ and anthropomorphize God –give God the limited qualities of humans or the physical appearance of a person. The truth is we are made in the nature and ability of God. We are co-creators.
- “Amen” comes from the Hebrew: “truth,” used adverbially as an expression of agreement. –surely, — from root a-mn “to be trustworthy, confirm, support.” So Amen is just a big exclamation on the declaration. “It is so!” “Your wish is a commandment that is already done”
- For powerful tools on visualization and clarity, please visit http://manifestthesecret.com There you will find the answers to some wishes: A free e-book on “Treasure Mapping” (AKA vision boards) that will help you organize and create amazing, effective visual treasure maps for your dreams and desires. We promise it is a wish granted and a powerful, practical tool for making wishes come true. You will also be introduced to our powerful, magical DVD kit titled “The Instrument: For Manifesting the Secret and Putting Attraction into Action.” All of our media and books are tools to help you be ‘aware’ of what you wish for.
If you’ve seen “The Secret,” you’ve seen our work! (more below) Now that you know “The Secret,” what’s next? Use the Law of Attraction to your advantage! We are firm ‘knowers’ of attraction, fans of “The Secret,” and students of awareness. We enjoy sharing our practice and evolving journey of understanding attraction, the power of the word & intention, and abilities as creators. Our most recent and fond creation is a product that helps people implement the law of attraction to their advantage. We released “The Instrument: For Manifesting The Secret and Putting Attraction into Action” just before Christmas 2007. As we discover, explore, and learn more about positive thought and creation, we are thrilled to share what we know with others and so very grateful for everyone’s participation in this magnificent process.
More About “The Instrument” visit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=puMyyhir3u8 A 2 DVD set with 29 state-of-the-art digital videos with stunning imagery, music, and powerful, inspirational affirmations, quotes, and practice sessions. You will gain wisdom and inspiration through the quotes, reveal your magnificent Self through the affirmations, and raise your vibration and motivation with the imagery and music. This is a full-on, Hollywood-production-quality experience.
Bill Lee is an award-winning Hollywood visual effects artist, image creator, graphic designer, writer, and cinematographer. If you’ve seen “The Secret,” you’ve seen some of his amazing imagery.
Bill worked as a graphic designer and effects specialist for the major networks and top shows including, The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Showtime’s Outer Limits. Bill’s also an Independent film-maker, screenwriter, TV show developer, and stand-up comedian.
Bill studied Science of Mind under Dr. Michael Beckwith (the Secret) at the Agape International Spiritual Center in Los Angeles.
Mission: “To activate awareness and connection through humor, entertainment, imagination, and visual magic.”